Kollapur region is an area spanning the Nallamala forest area on the banks of the river Krishna in the Nagarkurnool district, in the state of Telangana India. The Someshwara, Sangameshwara, and Malleshwara temples are in this region, with traces of architectural treasures from the 2nd century BC. Hundreds of ancient temples are visible in the area, mainly built over 1,500 years ago. Due to similar broad roads and surrounding tree plantations, people used to refer to Kollapur as Telangana Mysore (a reference to the larger city of Mysore)
Since 17th Century Kollapur was Ruled by kings and Kollapur was the Capital City of the Kingdom. Among many kings who Ruled the kingdom of Kollapur Sri.Venkata Laxma Rao is Prominent. He used to Travel in Plane from Kollapur to Other Capital and Other capital to Kollapur. After him few Kings of Various dynasties Ruled the kingdom in 1948 at the time of Kollapur merging in Indian Constirution Queen Ratnamamba was on the throne. Kollapur is well built with Good Irrigation and Broad Roads by the Kings who Ruled. After merging in Indian Constitution in 1952 Kollapur is announced as Assembly Constituency and from 1956 to 1963-64 Kollapur was Recognized as TOWN MUNICIPAL in this Period Sri Raghava Rao garu Municpal Chairman respectively later. In 1964-65 Kollapur is declared as Major Grampanchayat
1.TOWN MUNICIPAL FROM 1956 to 1963-64 Municipal Chairman Sri. Raghava Rao
2.MAJOR GRAM PANCHAYAT From 1965-1970 Sreenath garu Sarpanch
3.MAJOR GRAM PANCHAYAT From 1970-1995 Sri,A.Nagisety garu Sarpanch
4.MAJOR GRAM PANCHAYAT From 1995-2000 Sri,Md.Yusuf garu Sarpanch
5.MAJOR GRAM PANCHAYAT From 2000-2001 Sri,A.Jayapraksh garu Dy.Sarpanch(Incharge)
6.MAJOR GRAM PANCHAYAT From 2001-2003 Sri,P.Goutham Goud garu Sarpanch
7.MAJOR GRAM PANCHAYAT From 2003-2006 Smt,P.Sri Devi Goutham Goud garu Sarpanch
8.MAJOR GRAM PANCHAYAT From 2006-2011 Sri, R.Purushotham Rao garu Sarpanch
Provided their services as Sarpanch of Kollapur Grampanchayat. In the tenure of R.Purushotham Rao Garu, Kollapur was Declared as Nagar Panchayat videGO.Ms.No.358 Dated:24-08-2011 and From 05-09-2011 Kollapur Grampanchayat became Nagar Panchayat and extending valuable services.
The Madhava Swamy temple at Kollapur was originally built by the Rajas of Jetprol during the 16th century A.D., on the left bank of river Krishna at Manchalakatta. The architecture of the temple is beautiful. All around the temple walls, the carved sculptures depict the 24 aspects of Lord Vishnu and His dasa-avataras. Various pillars supporting the Mandapa, the Garudalaya, add beauty to the temple complex. Due to submergence under the Srisailam project reservoir, this temple was shifted and transplanted at Kollapur. This temple is located 180 km from Hyderabad and 110 km from Kurnool and Mahabubnagar.
There are three Mosques available to Muslims, the Jame Masjid, the Masjide Quba and the Masjide Mehrunnisa. The most historical is the Jame Masjid, which is over 100 years old. Twenty percent of the town populations are Muslim. There are two famous dargah’s (shrines) located here, the most famous is Khader Vali dargah. All Muslim and Hindus celebrate Urs-e-Shareef every year on the 16th of Rajjab (the seventh month of the Muslim calendar, which rotates since it is based on the lunar cycle). The second dargah located here is Mahebub Subahani
The Kollapur region played a considerable role in Nizam’s era (Nizam of Hyderabad, royal ruler prior to the British taking over). Kollapur has produced historic persons of note such as Kotla Venkata Subbaiah, who worked as a mantri, or secretary, to the Raja of Kollapur. In addition, Miyyapuram Rama Krishna Rao, a Telugu Brahmin, who worked as a mantri to the Raja of Kollapur after Kotla Venkata Subbaiah. Kotla Kistaiah worked as thasildar (revenue and tax official) to the same Raja
Somasila – There are 15 temples all housing Shivalingas (stones representing Lord Shiva). The temples range in date between the 7th and 17th centuries A.D. Sivarathri & Karthika Pourpami (full moon celebrations) are celebrated with much fervor. One temple was moved from the old Somasila village to higher ground to protect it from the waters of the Srisailam Reservoir.
The Madhava Swamy temple at Kollapur was originally built by the Rajas of Jetprole in the 16th century A.D. on the left bank of the river Krishna, at Manchalakatta. Carved sculptures are on all the temple walls depicting the 24 normal aspects of Vishnu. The Dasa-Avatars are located here, described as carvings of Vishnu showing ten incarnations of the Lord Vishnu. Various pillars supporting the Mandapa (outdoor pavilion) and the Garudalaya (style of building) adds interest to the temple complex. Due to the rising water levels under the Srisailam project reservoir, this temple was taken apart and rebuilt at Kollapur.
Singavatnam which is 9 km (5 miles) distance from Kollapur is home to the Sri Laxmi Narsimha Swamy temple and the reservoir, which serves nine villages by providing water for crops.
Jetprole, about 15 km distance from Kollapur, is home to the ancient Sri Venugopala Swamy temple and is a riverside complex.
In Miyyapuram about 26 km (15 miles) distance from Kollapur, the temple of the goddess Satyammathalli ( goddess Chowdeshwari Devi ) is located on a hilltop. This is a very ancient temple and is believed to have been built few centuries ago by ‘Nandavarikas’, ancestors of late Miyyapuram Rama Krishna Rao. There are celebrations at the temple during the ‘Dashera’ festival (Celebration of the victory of Good over Evil, held in September or October). From the temple of Satyammathalli, the Krishna River can be seen.
Ankalamma Temple is located near Kollapur. The journey from Kollapur requires travel by land, river and ends with a hike to the temple